Dr. Michael Halls is a board certified plastic surgeon who is well-known throughout the San Diego area as a specialist in breast and nipple reconstruction. With over 25 years in active practice, Dr. Halls also offers a full range of cosmetic breast enhancement procedures for women who want to enhance their breast appearance.
Please contact us online or call La Jolla Breast Institute today at (858) 458-0100 to schedule your breast reconstruction surgery consultation.
Why Choose Dr. Halls
Dr. Halls graduated with honors from the University of Western Ontario in Canada before continuing on to complete seven additional years of training in plastic surgery through residency and fellowships, including two years at Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Board certified in the United States as well as in Canada, Dr. Halls specializes in reconstructive breast surgery, and has developed his own approach to immediate breast reconstruction called the SIDA procedure that hides breast scars in the fold below the breast rather than on the breast surface.
Dr. Halls established La Jolla Breast Institute to create a place where women could receive the patient education and guidance they need to make the best decisions about breast reconstruction and enhancement. Dr. Halls and his staff are committed to a focus on patient care from consultation throughout your recovery, particularly during what is already an emotionally stressful time.
About Breast Reconstruction
- The primary goal of breast reconstruction is to create a symmetrical look between breasts by replacing volume lost during a mastectomy, either through the use of breast implants or by reshaping your own transplanted tissue. The nipples can also be reconstructed or repaired after mastectomy, if needed. Reconstructive breast surgery typically requires multiple procedures performed at different stages of your post-mastectomy recovery. Reconstruction can begin right away at the time of your cancer treatment or whenever you feel the time is right.
There are many important factors to think about when it comes to breast reconstruction, from deciding the best time to schedule your reconstructive surgery to navigating insurance information and planning your recovery. Dr. Halls will go over all of the possible options in further detail during your consultation.
- Breast Reconstruction Timing: Dr. Halls will explain more about the differences between immediate and delayed breast reconstruction so you can make the decision that’s right for you. Either type of reconstructive surgery can deliver positive results while allowing for any further cancer treatments you may need.
- Implant Based Reconstruction: Recreating the breast using saline or silicone implants is the most commonly used surgical approach in breast reconstruction today, and can sometimes be performed at the same time as your mastectomy. Dr. Halls will work closely with you to decide the best implant option and size to give you a very natural looking result.
- Tissue Based Reconstruction: Dr. Halls may also use fatty tissue and/or muscle taken from another area of your body to restore the breast shape, creating a breast mound that feels and looks like your natural breast. In some cases, tissue-based reconstruction may be combined with an implant as well.
- Nipple Reconstruction: Three-dimensional nipple reconstruction provides the finishing touch for your breast reconstruction surgery for an improved aesthetic.
Visiting our patient photo gallery to see real women before and after undergoing nipple or breast reconstruction can give you a better idea of what kind of results you can expect to see after your own reconstructive surgery. You can also find answers to commonly asked questions about breast reconstruction in our Breast Reconstruction FAQs.
Breast Reconstruction Pricing
The Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act of 1998 mandates that health insurance providers offering policy coverage of a mastectomy or lumpectomy must also provide coverage for the costs associated with breast reconstruction. Insurance coverage for breast reconstruction includes nipple reconstruction as well as any procedures that Dr. Halls deems necessary on the unaffected breast to ensure symmetry between the reconstructed and natural breast.
Dr. Halls’ staff will discuss your costs for Dr. Halls’ surgical services in detail at the time of your consultation, and will assist you in gathering any necessary documentation required by your insurance company for coverage and reimbursement.
Recovery & Results
You should be able to see an immediate difference in how your breasts look and feel following reconstruction surgery, though the initial results may be obscured by swelling. In some cases, more than one procedure may be required before you see your final outcome. Over time, swelling dissipates and the appearance of scars will become less noticeable. Although you may feel sore at first, you should be able to ease gradually back into your normal daily routine within 2 to 3 weeks, depending on your comfort level and your body’s healing response.
After your breast reconstruction surgery, you can enjoy a feminine shape without concerns over feeling self-conscious in clothing or swimsuits. Your reconstructed breast should have a natural appearance that restores symmetry to your figure. Many women feel a sense of being “whole” again following reconstructive surgery, along with gaining a positive outlook that can help them move forward emotionally and physically after breast cancer treatment.